Amazing Fish Chowder
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, or any fish you have in your freezer or have purchased, be creative, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place bacon strips in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp, then remove to paper towels to drain. Drain grease from the pot, reserving about 1 tablespoon. Set heat to medium, and fry onions in the reserved bacon grease until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes then fill the rest of the pot with just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add fish pieces, evaporated milk, whole milk, and butter. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls, and top with crumbled bacon pieces.