Lemon Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Cornstarch
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Cold water
- ½ Cup Fresh squeezed lemon juice (3 lg. lemons)
- 4 Each Large egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ Cups Boiling water
- 1 Tsp Lemon zest, grated
Procedure steps for filling:
1. Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a 2-3 quart saucepan.
2. Gradually blend in until smooth the cold water and fresh lemon juice.
3. Add the egg yolks and blend thoroughly then add the butter and fold in stirring constantly.
4. While stirring gently slowly add the boiling water. Bring to a boil and allow thickening slightly, reducing the heat to very low and simmering slowly for 1 minute.
5. Fold in the lemon zest then pour into the baked pie shell.
6. Spread the meringue (see recipe below) onto the outside edges and anchoring it to the crust and filling, then working toward the center with the remaining meringue. Use a rubber spatula to create peaks throughout the top of the meringue. Bake for 20 minutes in the 350° F oven or until meringue peaks are golden brown.
7. Cool completely on a rack and then serve or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Because stabilization is achieved with the cornstarch paste, this meringue topping will not weep, leak, or deflate, even when refrigerated for several days. Since the pie filling should be piping hot when the meringue is added, measure out and prepare the cornstarch paste in step 1 below before embarking on the filling recipe above.
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/3 Cup Water
4 Each Large egg whites, room temperature
½ Tsp Vanilla
¼ Tsp Cream of tartar
½ Cup Sugar, preferably superfine
Procedure steps for meringue
1. Mix the cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan, then add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a wire whisk stir briskly and boil for 15 seconds. Remove the thick paste from the heat and cover. (Now go ahead and start the filling in step 2 from the top section of this recipe.)
2. In a clean and grease-free mixing bowl add the room temperature egg whites and beat until foamy.
3. Add the vanilla and cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
4. Slowly and gradually add the sugar and beat in well on high speed until very stiff and glossy but not dry.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to very slow and add the cornstarch paste 1 tablespoon at a time. When the paste is incorporated increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat for another 10 to 15 seconds.
6. Spread over hot pie filling as described in step 7 from the section above.
For the Pastry (3 single crusts):
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar,
- 3/4 tsp salt,
- 2/3 cup of shortening,
- 1/2 cup+4 tbs unsalted butter.
- 6-8 tbs of ice water
Mix as required for pie dough.
If you are unsure of how to mix pastry dough go here.
This pie crust needs to be blind baked.
Thanks to Peggy Hoffman of Acme Cafe.