Potato and Green Bean Salad
This is a dish that my friend Giovanna taught me how to make. She said this is a classic Italian dish that appears at most of her family meals.
Italian Potato and Green Bean Salad
- New potatoes boiled whole and chopped in half later. Do not over cook them or they will be mushy. You can even make them ahead of time and refrigerate them until you are ready to use them.
- Green Beans blanched; again you want them al dente. So boil for about 6-7 min then put them immediately in ice water or really cold water to stop them from cooking. You can cook these ahead of time as well and just leave them in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
- Chopped green onion
- Olive oil-use a really nice one. I have one olive oil for cooking and then a very good quality extra virgin olive oil for salads and for drizzling over dishes.
- Balsamic Vinegar, again use an excellent quality for the best flavor. Go to an Italian store and pick some up. Ask for advice from someone.
- Sea salt-to taste, my friend uses Himalayan pink sea salt, kind of fun eh?
- Pepper-to taste, freshly ground
- Dried oregano, she uses her Moms dried oregano from her garden. I have tons of fresh oregano that I am going to dry for the winter.
Combine green beans and potatoes.
Drizzle with olive oil until everything is lightly covered. Add sea salt
Mix all together again and add balsamic vinegar, again drizzle it and taste it. This should be to your liking. Add oregano and pepper. Keep tasting it until you season it to your satisfaction. Remember you are the chef, you know what tastes good. Put it in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it. Enjoy this fresh, light salad!