Vietnamese Style Chicken Salad
What is great about this recipe is that you can use grilled shrimp, rotisserie chicken or any other protein that you like.
- 3 small shallots, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (seed first if you want less heat)
- 1 Tbs. Granulated sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs. fish sauce
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, thin-sliced (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) chicken breast. Or purchase a rotisserie chicken and use that!
- Kosher salt
- 6 oz. package coleslaw mix
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
With a mortar and pestle, pound the shallots, jalapeno, sugar, and 1/8 tsp. pepper until the shallots are very soft (but not pureed) and liquid is released. Transfer to a large serving bowl and stir in the vinegar and fish sauce.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook on the BBQ or in a pan for 5-7 min on each side. Test to see if it is done. Shred the chicken up with your fingers.
Toss the coleslaw mix into the vinegar mixture. Add the chicken, mint, and cilantro and combine well. Top with the peanuts and serve at room temperature.