Trifling with Strawberry and Lemon
Tonight we had our friendly neighbors from…well….our neighborhood over for a BBQ. I decided to make trifle. I genuinely have fun making trifle because I don’t believe there are any rules other than layering a bunch of stuff you love in a trifle bowl. Those who know me, will be aware that my absolute favorite type of dessert is one that has lemon in it. The real, tart, fresh clean kind of lemon that you can’t get out of a bottle. This is probably why I love my citrus press so much but I will feature that in a short film at a later date. So, i will give you the basics of a layout for a recipe, the rest is for you to create, imagine, and fearlessly pile together ingredients that you love. So this is my favorite combo.
- 1 pound cake
- 2 cups of frozen strawberries, cooked and blended with a 1/3-1/2 cup of sugar
- Lemon curd. I double this recipe.
- Whipped cream. I made 2 different kinds. Regular, 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tbs icing sugar. And Mint infused whip cream.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries sliced thin. I use my egg slicer, it works perfectly.
- Layer bottom with slices of pound cake.
- 1 cup or more of lemon curd.
- 1 cup of strawberry sauce. (made from the frozen strawberries)
- A nice layer of fresh strawberries
- Mint infused whip cream
- Repeat as many times as you want.
You may try to make this look really pretty, or you may just dump them all on top of each other. It will taste the same either way…fresh, light, lemony, strawberry-y, and delish.